This weekend, the clocks spring ahead an hour for daylight savings. And while we may lose an hour of sleep, the upside is: Spring is around the corner.
So? How does a hot tubber get ready for spring? By giving your spa a full cleaning, inside and out.
“Even if you have closed your spa down for the winter,” says Keith McPartland, Best Hot Tubs’ Farmingdale, NY, showroom manager, “build up in the plumbing still occurs because of the anti-freeze. So it’s a good time for a purge cleaning.”
Keith adds that any time you change your water, even for routine maintenance, it’s a good idea to do a purge cleaning.
TIP: In the case of closed down hot tubs, the spa will have to be filled with water before adding the purge.
For all you DIY-ers, here are Keith’s 11 Steps for purging and cleaning your spa:
- If empty, fill hot tub with water
- Remove the filters and let them float in the water.
- Put your spa jets on high
- Add a purging gel. (We recommend “Hot Tub Serum-Total WaterCare System”)
- Let the serum run through the plumbing for 30 minutes with the hot tub jets on.
TIP: A build-up of foam is a natural part of the purge process. If the foam gets too much and begins to spill over edges of the hot tub, just turn off the jets for 10-15 minutes. Then restart again until you have completed 30 minutes of the purging.
6. Drain the spa, wiping/cleaning the interior down as you drain it. This will ensure no sticky residue from purged contaminants adheres to the shell.
7. Hose off filters (or change them, if it’s time). Reinstall them.
8. Remove the JetPaks (for Bullfrog Spas), drain them, and wipe them clean.
9. Refill the spa with clean water
10. Check the cover to make sure it’s in good condition and not retaining water.
11. Add the necessary chemicals and check they are in proper balance
12. Check the spa again over the next 24 hours to be sure it’s operating properly.
Now, you’re set to get your hot tub ready for those many hours you’ll be spending in your hot tub. Of course, if you’d like Best Hot Tubs to do your maintenance, give us a call or contact us:
FARMINGDALE, NY – 1911 Broadhollow Rd, Farmingdale, NY 11735 – Phone: (631) 465-0175
WESTBURY, NY – 453 Old Country Rd, Westbury, NY 11590 – Phone: (516) 279-4850
And our newly relocated store…
WINDHAM, NY – 275 CR 65 -(Corner of Route 23 & CR 65), Windham, 12496 – Phone: (518) 734-9100